Minibase Installation Guide
The source code for Minibase and its libraries, and
the homework assignments are only available
for the password. You can get the files from the ftp site:
ftp.cs.wisc.edu. Log in as "minibase", and use the password.
The files will be in directory pub/instructors/minibase-2.0.
Compiled versions of Minibase (without the source code),
the source code for Microbase and the minibase documentation are available
You can get the files from the ftp site: ftp.cs.wisc.edu.
Log in as "anonymous". The files are in directory minibase/pub/public.
- mini_doc. The html documents you are currently reading.
- minibase. The database system and three viewing programs.
These viewers are:
- The graphical user interface to the database.
- A tool for translating QBE queries into SQL.
- A tool for handling ER normalization (relational design).
- minilite. The database system without the three viewers. The interface
to the database is textual.
- vis2. Two more viewers. One for viewing B-tree performance, and the other
for viewing buffer manager performance.
- mini_hwk. Homework assignments and solutions for an introductory course
in databases, using the Minibase project.
- microbase. A simplified version of the database system.
- nobin.tar.gz. Uncompiled source code. Compilation instructions are
contained in each package.
- sun5.tar.gz. Compiled version for SPARC Solaris 2.5.1. with no source code.
- sun4.tar.gz. Compiled version for SPARC Sun OS4 with no source code.
- solarX86.tar.gz. Compiled version for PC Solaris 2.5.1. with no source code.
- hpux.tar.gz. Compiled version for HP-UX with no source code.
- When "minilite-2.0" is installed it is called "minibase-2.0".
- Before "mini_hwk" or "vis2" is compiled you need to have either
or "minilite-2.0" installed and compiled. The "mini_hwk", "vis2"
and "minibase-2.0" root directories should be in the same place
(i.e., have the same parent directory).
- If you use "minilite-2.0", then the homework that requires viewers will
- If you use a precompiled version of "minibase-2.0", some
compilation still needs to be done. Follow the directions given with the
February 13, 1997